Gov. Lamont Closes Schools For Remainder of School Year

Story by Ava Schrage, Staff Writer/ Editor

This morning, Tuesday, May 5th, Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont announced that all K-12 public schools statewide will remain closed until the fall in order to protect students and staff from COVID-19 and prevent learning in an unsafe environment.

After announcing his decision, Lamont explained, “I know how important it is for so many students and teachers to finish out the school year, and I was holding out hope – particularly for high school seniors – that we’d at least be able to complete the final few weeks, but given the current circumstances and to protect everyone’s safety, it has become clear that it’s just not possible.”

Both the Connecticut Education Association and the Connecticut Association of School Administrators are in support of the cancelation. Instead of pushing to go back towards normalcy, these groups stress the importance of preparing schools to re-open at the start of the next school year by keeping buildings and people away from danger.

Although traditional school is officially canceled, distance learning will continue until summer vacation. In order to help students learn successfully in an online school environment, Lamont’s Learn from Home Task Force is continuing to distribute over 60,000 Dell laptops and 185,000 Scholastic Pre K-8 book packs to students who are in need of learning resources. These have been donated by the Partnership for Connecticut so students have the necessary tools available to them for free. Moreover, schools will still be providing free breakfast and lunch for students involved in the meal program. At this point in time, it has not been determined whether or not summer school programs or camps will be open following the end of the school year.

Prior to his announcement earlier today, schools were set to reopen on May 2oth. Lamont is one of the last governors to declare an ultimate decision regarding school closures, as he now represents the 40th state to determine that the re-opening of schools is unsafe, leaving only Maine, Maryland, Montana, New Jersey, and Wyoming to decide.