How Some are Coping with Quarantine Boredom

Story by Sarah Flakus, Editor/Staff Writer

When asked for one word to describe people’s quarantine experience, many may say “boring.” Being stuck in a house for weeks on end may cause people to run out of interesting things to do, and many have begun to cope with the boredom in interesting ways. SHS sophomore Avery Slocum said there was a point where she watched the One Direction movie, ‘This is Us,’ on repeat for days, junior Ellie Korinek tried (and failed) to learn how to knit a scarf, and sophomore Dillon Griscom said she spends her time having staring contests with her cat.

However, none of these activities are quite as abnormal as what sophomore in college, and SHS alum, Abby Flakus did to keep busy in her free time. On Tuesday, April 28, she walked a marathon. Starting at 9 o’clock in the morning, Flakus walked 26.2 miles around the neighborhoods close to where she lived, only taking a 30-minute break for lunch.

“I saw the idea on social media, and since school has already ended for me, I was really bored and I had a lot of time on my hands so I just decided to try it,” said Flakus. She said that she made dozens of laps around the several neighborhoods around her own, and even walked along Elm Ridge Road to the Pawcatuck Little League and back.

When asked if at any point she regretted it she said, “I knew it was not a very smart thing to do, and I definitely regretted it during the last part of it and the day after because I was pretty sore, but now it feels cool that I accomplished something like that, even though it’s pretty silly. Plus, whenever I regretted it while I was walking, I was determined to keep going because people in my family thought that I wouldn’t finish it.”

Flakus took an interesting turn on how to save yourself from boredom during quarantine, and she said that she actually enjoyed it. “I’ve been so bored recently, and I saw this as a way to do something for a good chunk of a day, which worked so I consider it a success.”