Mystic Aquarium Coastal Cleanup to take place September 29th

Story by Olivia Haberek, Staff Writer

On September 29th, at 10 a.m. through 2 p.m. the Mystic Aquarium and other community partners will hold be a beach cleanup at Bluff Point State Park in Groton, CT.  They hope to remove 1,000 pounds of debris from Rhode Island and Connecticut shorelines.

The Mystic Aquarium Animal Rescue Team is attempting to protect to marine mammals and sea turtles stranded in our coastlines. There will be over 500 volunteers of all ages and you can stay for a couple of minutes or the whole day. If you are looking to volunteer at the Bluff Point cleanup you can sign up at this link, eventbrite.com/e/mystic-aquariums-ocean-ambassador-coastal-cleanup-at-bluff-point-registration-67289874827

According to Ms. Ellis, Stonington High School science teacher and former Mystic Aquarium employee, this cleanup has been going on for about 19 years and one of the beaches they have been going to the longest is Bluff Point. It usually takes from 8a.m. to 12 p.m. She said that they find all different kinds of plastics on the beaches such as diapers, baby toys, water bottles, and even some floaties. She also talks about how it is a great volunteer opportunity and they are always looking for volunteers. She says it is also good if you are a student and need volunteer hours. Along with that she also said that it is coordinated by the education department with the help of volunteers.

Along with September 29th at Bluff Point there will be two more sites they are going to clean up. On October 12th the Mystic Aquarium will be at Mystic-wide cleanup in Mystic, CT  from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., if you would like to volunteer you can sign up at this link, eventbrite.com/e/mystic-aquariums-ocean-ambassador-mystic-wide-clean-up-2019-registration-66683105965. Also on October 19th they will be at East Matunuck State Beach in South Kingstown, RI from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., if you would like to volunteer you can sign up at this link, eventbrite.com/e/mystic-aquariums-ocean-ambassador-coastal-cleanup-at-east-matunuck-state-beach-registration-70927990529