Stonington High Honors Veterans With Armed Forces Luncheon

Story by Ben Fyke, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, the Stonington High School AP U.S. History classes and the Pawcatuck Lions Club both put on a free luncheon for veterans at the Pawcatuck VFW.

The event kicked off with the national anthem, performed by the SHS Nothing But Acapella group: Ben Huynh, Tyler Stafford, Christopher-David Caraballo, and Erich Phelps. The Silver Dolphins Color Guard then did a presentation of the colors, with a Pledge of Allegiance led by Emma DeLaRosa. Right before the buffet started, there was an Armed Forces Medley video. The video featured all the service songs, and when each veteran’s respective song played they stood up to be recognized. After lunch and dessert, the SHS Chamber Choir sang two songs, and a video thanking the veterans was played. The luncheon concluded with Alison Marseglia playing Taps on her trumpet.

The event was well-attended by veterans from all over Southeastern Connecticut. It is put on every year by the AP U.S. History classes, who organize the luncheon after taking the AP Exam in mid-May. The event is also worth half of the final exam grade for the class. The Pawcatuck Lions Club also helps organize the luncheon and cook hamburgers and hotdogs during it. The whole event is a touching tribute to and recognition of the people in our community who have made the ultimate sacrifice.