Exciting Changes for the SHS Computer Science Program

Story by Emma DeLaRosa, Staff Writer

Many students at Stonington High School have expressed a passion for computer science, so Mrs. Gauthier, teacher of the programming classes, has expanded the department with the Amazon Future Engineer Program.

The program is from a partnership between companies Edhesive and Amazon. It emphasizes the importance of teaching computer science to prepare for the future because of how rapidly the field is growing.

The expansion of computer science departments in schools means more advanced courses, more resources, and a variety of programs to help high school students succeed in AP Computer Science. This program especially focuses on students who may be from low-income and diverse communities.

Although it seems that Stonington does not have the diverse population that the program described, Mrs. Gauthier promoted a different selling point for our school— she could offer high gender diversity. At Stonington High School, there are many girls who are interested in computer science — about 40% of programming students are girls!

As for the program’s effect on Stonington, Mrs. Gauthier said that she will be in communication with Amazon engineers who will check in about once a month, she will have access to their online resources, and she will even teach programming classes in Python (currently, she just teaches in Javascript).

Mrs. Gauthier has accomplished such a great thing for our computer science program. In the future, students at Stonington High School will have the privilege of an advanced computer science program, which will greatly benefit them in the future.