New Teacher Profile: Ms. Jensen

Story by Sarah Flakus, Staff Writer

Stonington High School welcomed new long-term substitute Ms. Jensen into the Bears’ family last week.

Ms. Jensen grew up in New London, so she knows the southeastern Connecticut area pretty well, but it is her first time teaching at SHS, and so far she is loving it. “All the kids are really nice, and all the teachers are really welcoming, so it’s great,” she said.

Jensen attended Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts, and has taught in the Guilford school district, so she’s not a stranger to the classroom. “It was a little weird transitioning to this school, just because of the fact that it’s in the middle of the school year, but so far everyone has been very helpful,” she said. She teaches College Algebra II, Algebra II-A, and Algebra I, and says that she loves to teach these classes, along with the students in them.

When asked about her favorite part of SHS, she said “I like how school starts and ends at good times. Like in my past schools, the beginning of the day was at 7:18, and the end of the day was at 2:07, so these even times are great because they’re easy to memorize.”

So far, Jensen says that she has “no complaints” about the SHS, just as the Bears have no complaints about welcoming her as a new addition. So if you see Ms. Jensen in the halls, make sure to give her a smile or wave and welcome her to our school.