One of Stonington’s Favorite Subs: Major Carpenter

Story by Emma DeLaRosa, Staff Writer

Tell any student that Major Carpenter is subbing their class and you will see their face light up.

Although he easily brightens their day, many students may not know much about who he is as a person.

When asked about what he wanted to do when he was younger, Major Carpenter said, “When I was a kid, I was going to be an architect… but, I was actually drafted by the army and joined the Air Force.” However, he always had an interest in education; in college, he minored in education with a major in business. He was certified to teach in Pennsylvania but never did because of the Air Force. But once he retired after 22 years, he looked at his transcript and noticed that he could take just one class in order to teach math in Arizona. Now, he enjoys subbing and flying commercially in his free time.

He believes that the most important piece of advice is that everyone should follow their dream. “It is important to do what you enjoy in life… I wouldn’t think about what you make on the job because the money will come. It is more important to be happy in your work… You work so many hours in a day, make it fun.”

This advice led him to love what he does: “I love teaching and I love the Air Force. I’ve always enjoyed working.”  He enjoys subbing so much that he cannot pick a favorite class but loves to see all the faculty and students.

Next time you have Major Carpenter in class, know that he is most likely just as happy as you are to be your sub.