SHS Varsity Club Visits Deans Mill Ahead of SBAC Testing

Story by Tessa Henningsen, Staff Writer

On Friday May 4th, Varsity Club members took a trip to Deans Mill Elementary to see third and fourth grade students. The third and fourth grade students have Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, better known as SBAC testing, coming up. SBACs is a standardized test that gives data on student academic ability. The test is based on the Common Core standards for Language Arts, Literacy and mathematics.

The SHS Varsity Club went to Deans Mill to perform a pep rally in order to “pump up” the students for the test. Each member took the time to introduce themselves and talk about one obstacle they encountered, but had to overcome. It was meant to send a message to the student that, no matter what, when facing adversity the SHS students kept going. They explained to the students that if you have trouble on your test just push yourself to the best of your abilities. This is so the students do not look back and think “I could have done that differently,” instead, they hink back positively on their experience.

Varsity Club did a few activities for the children, they ran a relay race for the kids and the lesson was “Did you try your hardest?” This was to show the students that if they tried their hardest, they would feel better about themselves. The Varsity Club ended with each member providing a helpful tip to prepare themselves for the test, including “eat a healthy breakfast” and “get a good night’s sleep.”

This was the first year Varsity Club has thrown a rally for the elementary school students and, considering the outcome, the club hopes to continue this event each year.