Additional Seniors Sign Commitment Letters for Next Year

Story by Noelle Thomas, Staff Writer

Signing a National Letter of Intent is a huge milestone in many people’s lives. The document that is signed by an individual represents a student’s commitment to playing a sport at the collegiate level. The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) includes all colleges and universities in the United States, so anyone committing to a school within those boundaries sign this important letter. Stonington High School has had numerous students sign their very own letters on intent- most recently seniors Cameron Whalen and Travis Pacheco.

Cameron Whalen is a three-season  athlete at Stonington High School, playing soccer in the fall and competing in track during the winter and spring seasons. Whalen recently committed to Central Connecticut State University on April 27th to continue his track and field career. Cameron was getting offers from multiple different schools, but when he had an overnight at CCSU, he knew it was the perfect fit.

“I really felt good about the school and the team. I think that they are a really good track team and I also think that when I go I will be able to help them out in meets.”

Cameron hopes to run in competitive meets and help the team in the conference championships.  He will be studying either athletic training or exercise science while attending the university.

Travis Pacheco will be attending Assumption College in the fall to continue his career in football. Pacheco has been a part of the Stonington High School Varsity football team for three years and has always dreamed of playing football at the collegiate level. He thought that Assumption would be the best school for him, not only for their nationally-ranked football program but for the outstanding business school that they have.

For football, Travis will be an outside linebacker and wants to “bring a positive attitude coming in as a freshman to cheer on the upperclassmen because that’s what I would want the freshman to do for me.” Pacheco is excited for his next four years at Assumption College and can’t wait to see what the future holds.

Whalen and Pacheco are just two of the many athletes continuing their academic and athletic career in college. But there are many underclassmen that are ready to fill their shoes and  work towards their own letters one day.