Trying to cash-in on HQ Trivia

Story by Tessa Henningsen, Staff Writer

HQ Trivia has became the latest craze. Trivia was once a game of the past, but in recent months it has made a comeback.

HQ trivia, the live trivia game show, has taken the world by storm. Players join into a game with millions of others who are all there for one purpose: to win “free money.” Twice a day competitors are encouraged to test their knowledge in a game consisting of 12 questions and a cash prize at the end, which gets sent to winners through PayPal. Social media has blown up with videos of people playing in large groups, trying to heighten their odds of winning. The questions grow in difficulty and when question 12 arrives, it leaves most people guessing. Get one question wrong and you’re out of the running- unless you have an extra life to use.

The competition is stiff, so only the true trivia-knowers are able to win the cash. As time continues, the prizes get bigger and bigger. The stakes also get higher. Cash prizes have gone over $25,000 on some occasions. There is a lot at stake for everyone, and in the past there have even been games with no winner. 

At first, HQ left people wondering where the money came from. The prize money comes from private investors, some being Nike, The Rock, and Warner Brothers. Sophomore Abby Remmert, who has been playing the game since the start, has made it as far as question ten. She talked about how every game is different, and about how every question gets harder.

“A lot of the questions are very random, none you have ever heard of before,” Abby said.

“So many people are involved in HQ,” Abby continued. “Whenever I am with a group of friends, we always play together and when none of us know the answer, we all choose different ones so at least one of us can stay in the game. It’s a really good strategy to use and has been effective, but not effective enough.”

With HQ’s growing popularity, the company will continue to increase prizes, and bring celebrity guests and investors on to to guest-host, thus drawing in more players.