ECE course takes home second place at Globalization Conference

ECE class members pose outside at UCONN after being presented with second place.

Story by Emma Rocherolle, Staff Writer

Every year, Uconn puts on an ECE Globalization Conference for the high school students in the state.  Every ECE class in the state was offered the opportunity to go to Uconn for this conference. Stonington High School’s ECE teacher, Ms. Norcross, applied to this early, so SHS was picked as one of the 9 schools that got to compete for the winning presentation. Each school picks a country and talks about a certain effect of globalization.  In this instance, it was how globalization affects women. Each of the school’s ECE classes had about a month to work on the fifteen-minute presentation. After the presentation, the panel of judges asked questions about the presentation. SHS did their presentation on Saudi Arabia, and was awarded second place. Isabelle Ryan, a student of Ms. Norcross’ ECE class, said the trip was an exciting change from being in class. “Our team got second place! I’m super proud of the presenters who had to go up there in front of the judges, because I would have never been able to do that.”

Ms. Norcross was very excited for her class to attend this conference. “I had to give them a little push to be interested, but once they got started, I could tell they were really into it.”  Norcross was confident in her class and their abilities, and was anxious to see how they would measure up compared to the other schools participating. “It was really interesting to be put up against other schools to see how you matched up. Like the first round, we were up against a class from Greenwich, and we won. So I was really proud of that. All the students from the schools and seeing how the work that we are doing compares to theirs is really valuable.”

Overall, Norcross and her students walked away with first-runner up proudly and were already talking about participating in the event next year. Norcross hopes that the underclassmen would see their achievements and want to participate in the event themselves next year as juniors.