Stonington High Students Encouraging Language and Culture

MMS and PMS students were able to visit presentations on various countries, like Panama (above).

Story by Madison Nelson, Staff Writer

SHS students from the Spanish and French Honor Societies presented a variety of cultures to students from both Mystic Middle and Pawcatuck Middle Schools. Spanish and French Honor Society students created displays with different countries from around the world. Students from the middle schools were able to roam around the cafeteria to learn from the different cultures and complete activities. Activities ranged from eating new foods, to dancing, to making bracelets, and even getting henna tattoos.

Language and Culture Day is a day for high school students and middle school students to interact with each other, sixth graders from both middle schools received a “passport” and were able to travel and choose from over 40 countries. At the end of the presentation the high schoolers were taught by the sixth graders what they had learned in their own language classes. Andrea Edwards, a member of Spanish Honor Society, described her experience on Language and Culture Day, “They were doing assignments on the Panama Canal and they were really excited to teach us things. It was a good learning environment. I think they had a really good time learning from the high schooler and teachers here.”

Spanish and French Honor Societies had been planning this event for about three months. They began preparing by fundraising with car washes and bake sales. These fundraisers raised enough money to pay for the school buses that brought the middle schoolers to the high school, as well as all the food and drinks.

Señora Kennedy, the advisor for Spanish and French Honor Societies, was impressed with how organized and intrigued the students were. She commented how she thought the day went, saying, “The high schoolers did a great job recruiting. They’re super enthusiastic there was great energy.”

Because of how successful Language and Culture Day went, students will be able to look forward to participating in it next year.