SHS Freshman Lily Haghpassand wins First Place Title at History Day Competition

Story by Madison Nelson, Staff Writer

History Day Club is new to Stonington High School, but is not new to freshmen Lily Haghpassand and Dante DiMartino-Hart.  These students were members of the club at Mystic Middle. History Day Club is run by Ms. Prince and was brought to the high school when she transferred to SHS. History Day Club is a national organization.  To compete, students are given a theme, they then choose a topic to cover and can choose to present it as a website, documentary, paper, poster, or a performance. This year’s the topic was Conflict and Compromise, so Haghpassand created her documentary on the 1979 Iranian Revolution and its effect on the modern day United States, as well as Iran. Haghpassand competed at the Mansfield Regional Contest on March 3rd where she shared her documentary with three judges. Haghpassand won first place and will be competing at the state level on April 28th.

Dante’s project was on The Compromise that Still causes conflict: How the Treaty of Versailles Influenced war on the middle east. Dante presented his topic as a paper.

Ms. Prince also commented on how she thought Dante and Haghpassand did, “It wewonderfullyful for both of them. The competition can get pretty stiff at the senior level.”