The SHS Agenda: There’s an app for that

Story by Madison Nelson, Staff Writer

Two Stonington seniors have put a different spin on the Senior Project by creating something nobody has designed before. Ryan Fornara and Nathaniel Bury have been working on building a new online agenda for students. Their plan is to allow students to create an account for easy access to view missed assignments, to communicate with teachers and to receive sports announcements.

“It’s like a Google classroom except more specific to the school,” Bury said.

The idea came from their programming teacher, Mrs. Gauthier.

“Mrs. Gauthier offered the idea to us, and we just kind of ran with it,” Bury commented. “We really hope to make it a real thing.”

For their mentor, the pair decided on Neil Gauthier, Mrs.Gauthier’s husband, an experienced web designer and data manager.

“I would say my AP programming class is what really inspired us to create this,” Fornara said.

The two meet with Mr. Gauthier every other Thursday at the local Starbucks to work on improving and adding to their online agenda. Fornara and Bury also work independently during their period two class, as well as after school, focusing on every detail to perfect their webpage. Fornara and Bury describe this challenge as a fun learning experience.

Fornara and Bury’s goal for this project is to finish by the end of the school year and use it in schools in the years to come. They plan to have this be an ongoing project. “We might not have it finished by the end of the year, but we will hopefully have it where a future student can expand on it,” Fornara stated.

“When you see the real potential a bunch of lines of code can [have] it’s like there’s so many possibilities of what you can do,” Bury said.

Not only are they working on creating the online agenda, but they are also working with former SHS student Sam Bunger to create a video game, which they hope to release in two years.