SHS Welcomes New Librarian

When+asked+about+the+change+from+the+middle+school+level+to+the+high+school+level%2C+Ms.+Prince%2C+pictured+above%2C+commented+that+she+is+%E2%80%9Cexcited+about+the+possibilities+of+the+more+in+depth+research+that+high+school+students+do%2C+and+to+be+able+to+help+with+that+and+to+be+a+part+of+it.%E2%80%9D+
When asked about the change from the middle school level to the high school level, Ms. Prince, pictured above, commented that she is “excited about the possibilities of the more in depth research that high school students do, and to be able to help with that and to be a part of it.”

Story by Emma Rocherolle, Staff Writer

This year, we have said goodbye to our old librarian, Ms. Muller, and said hello to a new one, Ms. Prince. Although she is new to some, she is not a stranger to the district. Up until last year, Ms. Price had worked at Mystic Middle School for nine years. Although it may not seem like a big deal, being a librarian in high school is a great responsibility. As kids get older, they go to the library more on their own for research and print sources.

Ms. Prince didn’t get into books until around college. Once college came, she found herself immersed in books. She wanted to look into Museum Studies, and the closest thing to that, that was near her locally, was Library-Science. Once she began her studies, she fell in love with them.

When asked about the change from the middle school level to the high school level, Ms. Prince commented that she is  “ excited about the possibilities of the more in-depth research that high school students do, and to be able to help with that and to be a part of it.” Ms. Prince is determined to be there for the students and help them with their research. She stressed that much of the database work that students begin in high school is used at the college level.

Going from a middle school to a high school can be a drastic change, and those changes are apparent to Ms. Prince. She said, “The biggest change is a lot of the freedom students have that just doesn’t exist in middle school. I see students being very proactive in their research, looking for information and following their own curiosity.”