SHS jazz ensemble to perform at Manchester High School jazz festival

Story by Ben Fyke, Staff Writer/Editor/Social Media Manager

The Stonington High School jazz band will be performing at the Manchester High School jazz festival on Wednesday, February 12th, along with numerous other bands in the region.

It is the first year that the ensemble has participated in this festival. The group does have experience playing in musical festivals, though. They have played at the Waterford High School jazz festival the past few years, and the band has been to various festivals in Boston in past years.

The Manchester festival is unique in that the judges host a playing clinic with the players following their performance. This gives musicians the opportunity to learn what they did well, and also to show them what they need to improve on for their next performance. 

The set will consist of songs performed in the December concert. The band will open with an arrangement of “Morocco” by Russ Freeman. The set will then continue with an arrangement of “I Remember Clifford” by Benny Golson, which will feature Alison Marseglia on trumpet. “Coconut Champagne” by Denis DiBlasio will finish out the set, and the song features Lucas Huesman on saxophone and Justin Holland on the drums.

“I’m really excited for the festival,” said senior Josh Fields who plays trombone in the jazz band. “It’s cool to do something other than Waterford, and it will be interesting to watch the other schools perform.”