The Mystic Disc: A Beloved Store of the Music Community

Story by Emma DeLaRosa, Staff Writer/Co-Editor

In Downtown Mystic, tucked away on Steamboat Wharf, there is a record store that many in the area hold close to their hearts.

The Mystic Disc sells thousands of new, used, and rare vinyl records, and constantly receives new additions. Since 1983, the store has been a staple in the community, while attracting tourists from all over. Not only does the store have a wide variety of music, but it upholds a welcoming atmosphere that anyone with a passion for music will appreciate. While the store is widely recognized by the community, it has also been recognized among the nation’s top 50 record stores in an article by U.S. News. 

Dan Curland, the owner of the store, is a bass player who grew up in Norwich. He can be found in the store nearly every day. He has said that he truly loves what he does because of his deep love for music. His passion is evident every time a customer walks into the store with his eagerness to talk about all different kinds of music. This is what gives the store such a unique feeling; it brings people together. 

The first time I went to the Mystic Disc, I bought a Thelonious Monk record, and when I brought it up to the register, Dan Curland and I lost track of time talking about all of the different kinds of music we are interested in. Ever since I have become a regular customer and whether I find a hidden gem or an album I’ve been long searching for.

The Mystic Disc has become such a special place for me, as well as for many students at Stonington High School. It has become a place where many young people go to hang out, and I have even made some new friends because of it. This has also led to the creation of the school’s Vinyl Record Appreciation Club, where many of the students have expressed their experiences at the Mystic Disc.

The Mystic Disc can be found on both Facebook and Instagram (@mystic_disc) where they post about events in the area, new collections of records, or anything that goes on concerning the store.