Music Department Celebrates Another Successful Year at Music Awards Night

Story by Ben Fyke, Staff Writer

The annual Music Awards Night took place in the SHS Commons Tuesday night. The accomplishments of those in the music department were celebrated.

The night began by recognizing all music participants. Those who have been in the program for one year received a Stonington Music string bag, two-year participants got a coffee mug, and three-year veterans got their varsity letter in band or chorus. Those who participated in band or chorus all four years at SHS received a plaque.

There were also awards and scholarships given out to individual people. The Band awards for underclassmen went to Trey Jones, Brendan Fullerton, and Alison Marseglia for Outstanding Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior, respectively. Lucy Sternberg received the Outstanding Senior award. Hannah Lamb. who will be attending West Point Academy in the fall, was honored with the United States Marine Corps Award for Musical Excellence. The Louis Armstrong National Jazz Award went to Christian Donovan, and the John Philip Sousa National Band Award went to Caroline Morehouse. Recipients of the Band Boosters Scholarships were Caroline Morehouse, Christian Donovan, Ryan ODell, Lucy Sternberg, Jake O’Keefe, and Joey Hinckley. Grace Gilbert received both the Connecticut Association of Schools Music Award and the National School Choral Award. The Kevin Sisk Memorial Scholarship went to Nick Turco.

After the award ceremony, Tri-M Honor Society members served deserts to the attendees. It was one of the final events of the year for the music department, with only the Pops concert and graduation remaining.