SHS Prepares for Hello, Dolly! Musical

Story by Gabby Ross, Staff Writer

The drama cub will be putting on a production of the musical Hello, Dolly! March 8 and 9 at 7 PM and March 10 at 2 PM. The musical follows a story of Dolly Levi, matchmaker, who moves to Yonkers, New York, to find a match for a well-known rich man.

Members of the drama club have been working hard to remember complicated dances and get their lines down. Chloé Kolbenheyer, sophomore, states, “I love going to rehearsal and being with everyone I love, and I’m so glad to have the strong cast that we have this year. This show includes a lot more dancing than I’m used to, but it’s a lot of fun once you get the hang of it! I’m really excited about the musical because I feel like it’s going to be one of the best shows yet.” Chris Caraballo, junior, says, “Drama is single-handedly the best thing high school has to offer. There are always challenges in doing a show, but we work hard and it all pays off. I’m excited and nervous for the show, but I think it’s gonna be great.”

Many students have also gotten new roles this year that have been more challenging for them, but they are really excited to show their talents. Hazel Allik, sophomore, says, “I’ve never really danced in a show before and dancing is prevalent for my part, so it is challenging to keep up, but I am excited for the show but also very nervous.” Another drama member Erich Phelps, sophomore, says, “First lead role here, so there are more expectations. I’m a little nervous, but also very excited.”

Some are seniors and are getting ready to say goodbye as this is their last drama performance at SHS. Grace Gilbert, senior, says, “I am playing Dolly, and I have never had to play a role that practically has a monologue for every line. Also, I have to balance the character’s amount of sultry and sophistication, due to Dolly being older but still have that ability to persuade, but I actually feel very relaxed going into the musical. This being my last production with SHS drama is really weird. I have been involved with the program since I was in 5th grade, so it almost feels surreal that it’s all coming to an end. Very bittersweet. I would absolutely encourage everyone to take part in drama. Though it is thought to be just a club, it truly does work and push you just as much as any sport will. You’ll also meet some of the best people and have the chance to show people a whole new side of yourself.”

This show is good for the whole family, so bring your family and come see it. Tickets are $15 for Adults and $12 for Students and Seniors. They are available for purchase in the SHS office, at https://shsdrama.brownpapertickets.com/, or at the door.