Film Review: Love, Simon

Story by Danielle Christina, Staff Writer

Love, Simon- based on the bestselling young adult novel Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalliis a story that follows high schooler Simon Spier through his coming-out process.

For the most part, Simon’s story seems like most stereotypical coming-of-age stories; he has a loving family, good friends and he does alright in school. However, this all changes when someone submits an anonymous confession to their high school’s social media platform with the pen name “Blue.”  Feeling inspired, Simon (Nick Robinson), emails “Blue” telling him that he’s not the only one and a bit about himself. After simply signing his email with “Jaques,” you can tell that Simon is nervous but excited. Simon continues to email Blue, still under pennames, and their relationship seems to grow.

Things seem to take a turn for the worse when Simon accidentally leaves his personal email on a school computer and Martin Addison (Logan Miller), uses it to blackmail Simon, threatening to out him to the entire school if he doesn’t do what Martin says. When Martin’s plan to get Simon’s friend, Abby Suso (Alexandra Shipp), to date him fails, Martin outs Simon to the entire school- despite what he had promised.

Despite being a somewhat cheesy and a bit predictable, Love, Simon manages to develop well-rounded characters and follows an interesting, evolving story- without losing too much of the original plot. It gives a humanizing quality to a gay on-screen character, something that’s often rare in today’s media. He’s not overly flamboyant or play too much into a certain stereotype-  he has complex interests, people he cares about and struggles, more than just being gay. Love, Simon manages to be an innocent, wholesome and heartwarming film without the almost melancholy and overtly sexual tones of other films in the genre, such as Call Me By Your Name (Luca Guadagnino, 2017) and Blue is the Warmest Color ( Abdellatif Kechiche, 2013). Despite discussing something serious, Love, Simon manages to be light hearted and provide appropriate comic relief. Be ready to laugh, and cry, right along with these characters.  

Love, Simon has grossed over $40.2 million in the United States and Canada alone (as of April 22, 2018) and over $53.3 million world wide. It is one of the highest grossing teenage romance movies to date, alongside The Fault in Our Stars (2014) and 1996’s Romeo and Juliet.   It has received a ninety-two percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, as well as scoring seventy-three out of a hundred on Metacritic.