SHS Drama Presents “9 to 5” Musical

Story by Isabelle Ryan, Staff Writer

The Stonington High School Drama program presented the musical “9 to 5” on March 9th and 10th at 7 pm and March 11th at 2 pm. The show was a big success and Krista Jones, a current SHS junior, stated, “This show was especially difficult because the moves were very tricky, however, it was a lot of fun to see what we end up making by the end of the show.”

Learning the dance moves for a single number can take several rehearsals to perfect. The SHS drama team rehearsed weeks ahead of the show for many hours each session. Kylie Fullerton, also a current SHS junior, commented, “It’s super stressful, but it’s also really fun because it’s really social and everyone is all going through the same thing together.”

There is also the tech aspect and backstage moves that the audience does not see. These details also take a very long time to choreograph as well.  Jones added, “Hair, makeup, and costumes have to be just right in order to fit the time period because we want to be as professional as possible.”

However, all the kids involved in the musical can agree that the performance is very rewarding. Fullerton said, “We have this tradition right before opening night where the whole casts gets in a circle and we hold hands and Mrs. Stanley (director) gives us a pep talk before we go on stage. It’s probably one of the best parts because that’s when it really hits me that we are about to perform.”

With hours of preparation before the performance, Jones added, “We are usually very exhausted from the long hours of tech week, but the adrenaline of performing in front of a huge audience boosts our energy and we always improve each performance.”

Stonington High School’s drama program continues to put their full effort into every performance as students practice and perfect the performance weeks before the show even begins. It all pays off in the end, as the show was a huge success.