“If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Review

Story by Kaye Chapman, Staff Writer/Senior Editor

Earlier this month on the 13th, Drake dropped a mixtape with with no heads up, sending Drizzy lovers into a craze.

Before releasing the mixtape Drake released a fifteen minute movie titled “Jungle.” This short film explores Drake’s home of Ontario, Canada, often referred to as “the 6.” This short film shows where Drake came from and where he was raised. The film has a very personal feel to it, and its background music taken from Drake’s mixtape, makes it a very intimate experience.

The mixtape kicks off with a low tempo song “Legend.” At many points in the song Drake says “oh my god, if I die I’m a legend” which refers to his unmeasurable success and how right now Drake is making records and holding his title as one of the most successful rappers in the game.

The mixtape then leads into songs with a higher tempo and flawless lyrics that are too relatable for some. Drake kills it with every song, his tone in some of the songs reminiscent of one of his more sensitive albums “Take Care.”

The mixtape closes with “6pm in New York,” which is a track full of fire bars and even a diss at Tyga. Closing the mixtape this way, Drake really shows his talent and how he has still got it, and is not going anywhere.

Most of the time mixtapes are free, but Drake put his up on iTunes for $12.99. In only the first three days there were 17.83 million streams of his mixtape, compared to his most recent album “Nothing Was The Same” which only made 15.8 million streams total.

“For the first time in his career, Drake doesn’t sound like he wants to be remembered as one of the greats. This time, he just is,” according to Rolling Stone.